Nch’ḵaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Squamish Nation – Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw. Nch’ḵaỷ mandate is to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Squamish Nation. Our mission is to generate wealth and create prosperity from economic opportunities for current and future generations of the Squamish Nation. This role is offered to members first and the broader community if an appropriate application is unavailable. This position will mainly work out of Nch’ḵaỷ Head Office. Our Head Office is in North Vancouver, BC on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh(Squamish) Nation and its people.
This is a Casual on-site position at Squamish Valley Gas Bar
Scope of the Position
This entry-level service position is responsible for selling retail-related products to members and the public. The incumbent performs basic duties according to well- defined policies and procedures. The incumbent reports to the Retail Operations management team. The position requires flexibility of schedule (days/evenings and weekends).
A. Duties, Responsibilities, Authority and Accountabilities
- Performs duties associated with, but not limited to, running the retail store including taking payments from customers, providing excellent service to customers, cleaning duties, stocking shelves, and other as requested.
Operates store according to procedure:
- Reports to shop location as per weekly schedule, or as dispatched by Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s.
- Opens and closes shop in accordance with policies, process, and procedures.
- Takes payments from the customers, making proper change as required and authorized.
- Operates POS system, and credit card terminal.
- Makes requests for valid status cards and ensures that proper procedures are followed when selling non-taxed gas, cigarettes, or other non-taxed products.
- Checks records to ensure status person has not purchased beyond personal maximum allowance.
- Upon request/authorization, performs regular cash drops and fills out accompanying form/s.
- Ensures safety, security and health procedures are met on a daily basis.
- Interacts with public, providing excellent service.
- Selling tax-exempt tobacco and gasoline while knowing the governmental compliance reporting that goes with such service.
- Selling merchandise including coffee and other food items.
- Stays calm and courteous when dealing with difficult clients, quoting policy, and calling for supervisor assistance as required.
- Answers phone in a professional, courteous manner.
- Works to Retail operations’ customer service standards including:
- being helpful to fellow employees, SN members and the public,
- going the extra mile to solve customer problems,
- presenting a consistently professional image of Nch’ḵaỷ in all interactions and communications.
- Performs other customer service tasks as required by Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s or Management.
- Stocks shelves per Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s or Managements direction.
- Ensures displays are tidy, organized and eye pleasing.
- Ensures that station and shops are properly supplied, making requests for more merchandise from Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s as required.
- Ensures perishable products are rotated and refrigerated.
Cleans, sweeps, and keeps tidy, buildings and properties:
- Cleans shop. e.g., emptying garbage pails, cleaning countertops, and washrooms, dusting, removing garbage, and keeping operations tidy.
- Mops, sweeps, etc.
- Reports problems with safety, vandalism, and security to Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s as soon as possible.
Completes duties associated with inventory:
- Counts or rotates stock properly, as instructed by Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s.
- Checks in all shipments for accuracy against the delivery ticket e.g., proper quantity, price, and quality as instructed.
- Counts inventory as instructed.
- Closes out obsolete items as directed.
- Ensure all merchandise is properly priced.
- Provides gas inventory measurement based on the operational need of the store.
Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices, and procedures:
- Organizes and de-clutters work area to maintain a safe workspace.
- Reports immediately all unsafe conditions to the supervisor.
- Reports promptly all injuries to supervisor or first aid attendant and obtains required medical attention.
- Co-operates in accident investigations.
- Informs the supervisor of any medication or medical condition that may cause impairment and create undue risk to the employee or anyone else.
- Reports working sober (free from alcohol or drugs).
- Wears personal protective equipment if required, and ensures it is in good condition.
- Offers recommendations that may help to improve safety in your workplace.
- Reports immediately to supervisor if uncertain about how to perform work safely.
Participates as part of the Retail Operations team:
- Contributes meaningfully to the discussion — informs the group of activities, status of team goals and upcoming events.
- Provides Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s with daily updates on workload and other location details.
- Makes requests for suitable equipment, manuals, and reference material to accomplish tasks.
- Participates with the retail team in strategic decisions relating to the improvement of division and implements agreed with solutions.
- Co-operatively learns new techniques as directed by Team-leader/Assistant Team-leader/s and incorporates into daily accountabilities.
- Attends and contributes at meetings requested by management.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Reliable time and attendance at all scheduled shifts.
- Smooth operation of well-maintained station and stores while on shift.
- Maintain a positive and friendly mental attitude and team player.
- Careful handling of cash, inventory, and merchandise.
- Helpful and timely support and service to Squamish Nation membership and public.
- Accurate and timely reporting of problems, issues and relevant information to supervisors and management.
D. Reporting Responsibilities and Authorities from Supervisor
- Reports to the Operations Store Manager/Team Leader/ Assistant Store Manager/ Assistant Team Leader.
E. Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Must be fluent in English.
- Providing three (3) business references is an asset. Valid references must be a direct supervisor who is familiar with the applicant’s work.
- Having a valid BC Driver’s License is an asset. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must be flexible of schedule (days/evenings and weekends) and cannot switch to Monday to Friday day shift.
- Must provide a valid Criminal Records Check
F. Special Requirements
- Willing to work additional hours as required.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our incredible team. We are open to receiving applications from qualified candidates even if they don’t completely match the required qualifications; we look for people interested and willing to commit to Nch’ḵaỷ to learn and develop into this role.
We’re committed to an equitable team member experience, opportunity, pay and support for every employee regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, family or marital status, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, or any other characteristic that makes you unique.
Thank you in advance to those that apply. We appreciate your interest. Only the most suitable will be contacted for an interview.
$24.08 per hour
Doing business the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh way, on unceded Sḵwx̱wú7mesh territory