Nch’ḵaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Squamish Nation – Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw. Nch’ḵaỷ mandate is to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Squamish Nation. Our mission is to generate wealth and create prosperity from economic opportunities for current and future generations of the Squamish Nation. This role is offered to members first and the broader community if an appropriate application is unavailable. This position will mainly work out of Nch’ḵaỷ Head Office. Our Head Office is in North Vancouver, BC on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh(Squamish) Nation and its people.
This is a Casual on-site position at Mosquito Creek Marina.
Scope of the Position
Reports to the General Manager, Marina Operations and provides administrative and secretarial support to the Marina Operations Team.
A. Duties, Responsibilities, Authority, and Accountabilities
- Provides administrative support to the Manager, Marina Administration, and General Manager
- Receives daily tasks from the Manager, Marina Administration.
- Participates in team meetings to receive instruction on a full range of administrative tasks associated with the Marina Office.
- Works to ensure the Manager, Marina Administration is informed on various work priorities and assignments.
- Provides for the smooth functioning of the Marina by establishing and maintaining office procedures, systems, and priorities, as required, and as requested
- Coordinates and supports the flow of information into and out of the Marina Office:
- Creates and maintains the system to ensure the effective sorting, purging, filing, and prioritizing of correspondence, emails, faxes, and mail.
- Initiates responses to all incoming correspondence that falls within the realm of authority.
- Distributes and follows up on standard incoming mail and emails.
- Provides Manager, Marina Administration and/or Marina Operations Management Team with the documentation needed for a non-standard reply to correspondence.
- Composes and prepares letters for the signature.
- Types correspondence from handwritten notes as requested.
- Completes word processing, memorandums, notices, and letters as requested.
- Receives new requests for tenancy, sets up files, and ensures all appropriate documentation is filed.
- Follows up on all action items that fall within the realm of responsibility.
- Arranges couriers and make deliveries when necessary.
- Organizes conference calls when requested by Management.
- Provides administrative and secretarial support to Marina Office
- Provides clerical support, including assistance with day-to-day office inquiries and file management.
- Handles a wide variety of tasks and calls simultaneously, efficiently, and with professionalism.
- Assembles data on the computer.
- Completes required forms and paperwork.
- Conducts research as directed.
- Performs faxing, photocopying, laminating, and ordering of supplies.
- Undertakes special assignments and projects as needed.
- Establishes and manages efficient archiving systems for all hard copy and computer documents.
- Sorts resource material and maintains resource binders.
- Provides relief for absent office staff, dry storage, reception and Manager, Marina Administration when required.
- Maintains inventory of moorage and assists with the annual renewal process
- Maintains system for monitoring and controlling inventory.
- Receives and processes moorage information daily.
- Organizes and reviews client information and ledgers.
- Inputs end-of-day print out from Dock Master into Excel spreadsheet.
- Ensures dry storage and moorage inventories are correct and entered Dock Master System weekly.
- Ensures all services are properly priced.
- Assists in the process of sending out renewal letters and coordinating contracts prior to the renewal date.
- Meets with current and new customers to complete the contract process and acts as an authorized signatory on behalf of the Mosquito Creek Marina.
- Maintains boat master files.
- Files all contracts according to proper slips.
- Compares sales to inventory counts monthly, reporting discrepancies to the Manager, Marina Administration.
- Receives copies of what is delivered, inputs daily into an Excel spreadsheet, and follows up on discrepancies.
- Responsible for maintaining customer accounts:
- Responsible for ongoing investigations and research of customer account activities.
- Reviews regularly customer account balances and takes necessary steps to ensure accounts are up to date.
- Responsible for month-end and year-end billings and reports.
- Does pre-authorize Visa, MasterCard, and Amex payments at the end of the month.
- Sends out customer renewal letters.
- Renews contracts with customers and follows up with those who do not renew.
- Maintains Marine Controller System:
- Puts the boat placements into Dock Master to ensure they are in the proper slip.
- Departs the boat out of Dock Master at the end of their contract.
- Updates changes in Dock Master weekly.
- Enters all new contracts into Dock Master.
- Enters all new billing codes into Dock Master and determines rate code.
- Enters pay codes for Dock Master.
- Produces reports from Dock Master.
- Maintain account receivables:
- Ensures total debit and credits are in the Marina Accounts Receivable.
- Generates charges for dry storage containers, storage lots, and monthly paying contracts for storage.
- Prints out statements and mails out invoices and statements to the customer as directed by Management.
- Provides service:
- Interacts with public, providing excellent service.
- Stays calm and courteous when dealing with difficult customers/clients, quoting policy, and calling for Management assistance as required.
- Answers phone in a professional, courteous manner.
- Assists with the land-based part of the annual boat show:
- Assists with organizing rental, setup and teardown of all tents required for the show.
- Contacts vendors from previous shows to confirm attendance at next boat show as required.
- Assists with vendor signups and transactions for booth space.
- Ensures all signage for the vendors is in order as required.
- Assists with scheduling of required staff for the land portion of the show and sets them up for the gates and vendor area (i.e. welcoming, selling admission, taking cash, cleaning, closing out, etc.)
- Adheres to workplace health and safety policies, safe work practices and procedures:
- Organizes and de-clutters work area to maintain a safe workspace.
- Reports immediately all unsafe conditions to supervisor.
- Reports promptly all injuries to supervisor or first aid attendant and obtains required medical attention.
- Co-operates in accident investigations.
- Informs supervisor of any medication or medical condition that may cause impairment and create undue risk to the employee or anyone else.
- Reports to work sober (free from alcohol or drugs).
- Wears personal protective equipment if required, and ensures it is in good condition.
- Offers recommendations that may help to improve safety in your workplace.
- Reports immediately to supervisor if uncertain about how to perform your work safely.
- Participates as a member of Marina Operations
- Liaises and works cooperatively with senior management to ensure departmental and organizational goals are achieved.
- Ensures team has up-to-date information regarding workload and other pertinent information.
- Attends meetings and contributes meaningfully to discussions.
- Cooperatively learns new techniques as directed and incorporates them into standard procedures.
- Acts as trainer and mentor of junior staff.
- Makes requests for suitable equipment, manuals, and reference material to accomplish tasks.
- Attends work-related conferences, seminars, and workshops in order to gather further knowledge within professional area expertise as requested.
- Participates in a strategic decision relating to the improvements of divisions’ operational effectiveness. Implements agreed solutions.
- Perform other duties as required.
C. Reporting Responsibilities and Authorities from Supervisor
- General Manager, Marina Operations
D. Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- 2-3 years of proven work experience as an executive or personal assistant or similar role.
- Minimum High school diploma and successful completion of an administrative assistant program.
- College degree or university diploma considered an asset.
- In-depth understanding of the entire MS Office suite.
- Must be flexible of schedule (days/evenings and weekends)
- Good organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong team player with solid communication skills.
- High levels of integrity and ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines and procedures and as a member of a team.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Strong multi-tasking and organization skills.
- Ability to set and manage priorities to meet deadlines.
- Strong people skills and the ability to interact with colleagues and senior management to maintain quality.
- Experience working with First Nations is an asset.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our incredible team. We are open to receiving applications from qualified candidates even if they don’t completely match the required qualifications; we look for people interested and willing to commit to Nch’ḵaỷ to learn and develop into this role.
We’re committed to an equitable team member experience, opportunity, pay and support for every employee regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, family or marital status, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, or any other characteristic that makes you unique.
Thank you in advance to those that apply. We appreciate your interest. Only the most suitable will be contacted for an interview.