Nch’kaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Squamish Nation – Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw. Nch’kaỷ’s mandate is to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Squamish Nation. Our mission is to generate wealth and create prosperity from economic opportunities for current and future generations of the Squamish Nation. This role is offered to members first and the broader community if an appropriate application is unavailable. This position will mainly work out of our Lynnwood Marina, 1681 Columbia Street, North Vancouver, V7J 1A5
This is one-year contract Full-time position.
Scope of the Position
Under supervision, performs routine skilled, semi-skilled, and emergency maintenance and repairs to marina docks and related structures within the marina complex; provides assistance and service to boat operators, and performs related work as assigned.
Duties, Responsibilities, Authority and Accountabilities
Performs various land tasks:
- Takes care of electrical main boxes. Changes plugs and wires.
- Changes burnt-out bulbs and takes care of lighting on poles throughout the yard. Takes care of frozen or broken water lines or taps.
- Cleans up garbage around the dry storage yard and garbage bins. Cleans around the used oil and anti-freeze area.
- Patches up holes in fencing throughout the dry storage yard, as well as B, C, and F gates.
- Takes care of B, C, and F dock doors and locks.
- Fills propane cylinders or tanks for customers of the marina.
- the engine lift in and out of boats.
- Loads and unloads pallets off trucks.
Performs various water tasks:
- Takes care of water lines throughout the docks.
- Cleans the lines of mussels.
- Takes care of broken taps, leaks on lines, and broken lines that come apart.
- Takes care of boxes, plugs, and electrical lines throughout the docks.
- Changes blown fuses and resets breakers on all docks. Takes care of lighting throughout the docks.
- Changes 15 and 30-amp plugs and breakers as needed.
- Cleans and maintains the boat as needed.
- Tows logs and other items from all of the docks and around boats.
- Tows boats from docks to travel lift and back to docks.
Participate as a member of Marina Operations:
- At daily meetings contributes meaningfully to the discussion – inform the group of activities, status of team goals, and upcoming events.
- Provides Team Leaders with daily updates on workload and other details.
- Makes requests for suitable equipment, manuals, and reference material to accomplish tasks.
- Participates with the marina team in strategic decisions relating to the improvement of division. implements agreed on solutions.
- Co-operatively learns new techniques as directed by Team Leaders and incorporates them into daily accountabilities.
- Attends and contributes to monthly/quarterly department meetings.
- Completes tasks with the standard of quality and efficiency as set out by the Department Head and Team Leaders.
- Exhibits professional conduct and always provides courteous service.
- Completes written maintenance records as required.
- Adhere to workplace health and safety policies, safe work practices, and procedures.
- Perform other duties as required.
Reporting Responsibilities and Authorities from Supervisor
- Reports to the Marina Manager.
- Must be fluent in English
- Providing three (3) business references is an asset. Valid references must be a direct supervisor who is familiar with the applicant’s work.
- Must be flexible of schedule (days/evenings and weekends) and cannot switch to Monday to Friday day shift.
- Must provide a valid Criminal Records Check.
- Basic water safety skills.
- Good organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong team player with solid communication skills.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines and procedures and as a member of a team.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Strong multi-tasking and organization skills.
- Ability to set and manage priorities to meet deadlines.
- Strong people skills and the ability to interact with colleagues and senior management to maintain quality.
- Experience working with First Nations is an asset.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions, and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our incredible team. We are open to receiving applications from qualified candidates even if they don’t completely match the required qualifications; we look for people interested and willing to commit to Nch’kaý to learn and develop in this role.
We’re committed to an equitable team member experience, opportunity, pay, and support for every employee regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, family or marital status, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, or any other characteristic that makes you unique.
Please forward your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance to those that apply. We appreciate your interest. Only the most suitable will be contacted for an interview.