Nch’kaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Squamish Nation – Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw. Nch’kaỷ’s mandate is to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Squamish Nation. Our mission is to generate wealth and create prosperity from economic opportunities for current and future generations of the Squamish Nation. This role is offered to members first and the broader community if an appropriate application is unavailable. This position will mainly work out of Nch’kaỷ’s Head Office.
This is a Permanent Full-time position.
Scope of the Position
Nch’kaý is responsible for nine operating businesses and several rental buildings. Our team of 100+ staff is dedicated to serving our clients, employees, Squamish Nation, and Squamish Nation Members to deliver on our mandate to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation.
This position is located in North Vancouver, BC. You will be a member of a dedicated team of professionals in a multifaceted, progressive, and growth environment. The technical experience and expertise you bring to this role will not only enhance and improve the strength of the Operating Businesses team but will also help make a significant impact on Nch’kaý’s growth.
This role will oversee, manage, and maintain the infrastructure for the following Operating Businesses, amongst others:
– New Brighton Dock,
– Squamish Valley Gas Bar and Retail Store,
– Mosquito Creek Marina
– Mosquito Creek Retail Store
– Capilano River RV Park
– Capilano River Modular Homes
– Lynnwood Marina
– North Vancouver Gas Bar
– Sqomish Forestry
The Director of Operations, Infrastructure – is responsible for providing leadership and direction to Nch’kaý’s Operating Business’ infrastructure maintenance and maintenance projects, as well as determining the lifecycle and renewal of the physical infrastructure within Nch’kaý’s operating businesses.
This includes but is not limited to human resource management (maintenance teams), budget control, contract negotiation, dispute resolution, and regulatory compliance.
Duties, Responsibilities, Authority and Accountabilities
- Directs and oversees the Operating Businesses infrastructure, develops infrastructure records, infrastructure lifecycle maintenance, infrastructure upgrades, and replacements.
- Responsible for providing strategic and technical expertise in subject matter areas throughout the Operating Businesses infrastructure of the Maintenance Operations portfolio.
- Develop an infrastructure preventative maintenance program for all Operating Businesses.
- Develops and implements capital project and ongoing asset lifecycle replacement budgets, including budget preparation, authorization, control, and reporting of expenditures, ensuring the efficient utilization of financial resources within objectives, plans, and budgets.
- Provides effective support to the Operating Business’ Planning and Capital Project Implementation portfolios to ensure that projects in the planning, design or construction phases are compatible with existing and planned building systems and maintenance protocols
- Coordinates capital infrastructure replacement planning strategy with the EVP Operations & HR from a lifecycle and sustainability perspective, incorporating technological advances and aligning with existing projects.
- Define a project’s scope and budget consistent with a risk management-based needs assessment and Nch’kaý’s long-range, strategic, and capital plans.
- Develops lifecycle and replacement plans for all Operating Businesses’ infrastructure with a focus on standardization, sustainability, resilience, technical support, and the adoption of emerging technology.
- Oversees the delivery of and, where required, manages capital infrastructure and asset renewal projects across Nch’kaý’s Operating Businesses portfolio.
- Provides oversight of and technical support to Nch’kaý’s Operating Business’ capital projects to ensure the delivered infrastructure’s consistency, quality, and maintainability.
- Oversees procurement and management of required outsourced service providers for specialty engineering.
- Researches, promotes, and implements best practices in delivering efficient, adequate, resilient infrastructure and systems.
- Establishes and maintains contact with industry peers.
- Provides regular feedback to constantly update documents and ensure the information is regularly shared with stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as required.
Reporting Responsibilities and Authorities from Supervisor
- Reports to EVP of Operations and HR
COMPETENCIES and CAPABILITIES
- Must have marine experience, timber docks, docks, and pile driving.
- Engages Others, Achieves Results, Develops Coalitions, and supports Systems Transformation.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of building systems, operations and maintenance practices in a complex, multi-site environment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of appropriate legislation, relevant laws and by-laws, and provincial/national standards, rights, and titles.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of management of consultant contracts, capital implementation, construction and renovation projects, labour relations, contracted services, capital planning and implementation.
- Proven ability to define/amalgamate diverse organizational requirements, and financial parameters, resolve issues, identify, and mitigate operational risks, and develop long-range plans.
- Sound business acumen and ability to develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with business partners and other external stakeholders.
- Superior conflict resolution, negotiation, and people skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage strategic planning and design projects and support capital projects from design to the completion of construction.
- Proven initiative, judgment, decision-making and problem-solving capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to act in a crisis management environment.
- Ability to operate related equipment, including related software applications and a solid understanding of information systems used in the management of facilities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and coach team members through complex organizational change.
- Manages the professional development of technical support employees through the formal assessment of training needs and development of training plans.
- Professional designation in a relevant discipline, supplemented by ten (10) years of recent, related experience in progressively more complex and senior management leadership roles.
- Multi-site organization, including significant experience with design, construction and maintenance of infrastructure projects and operations.
- Strong team player with solid communication skills.
- Experience working with First Nations an asset.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related education
- Construction Management
- Project Management
- Pile Driver and Bridgman
- Willing to work additional hours as required.
- Able to travel to meet the demands of Nch’kaý.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our incredible team. We are open to receiving applications from qualified candidates even if they don’t completely match the required qualifications; we look for people interested and willing to commit to Nch’kaý to learn and develop in this role.
We’re committed to an equitable team member experience, opportunity, pay and support for every employee regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, family or marital status, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, or any other characteristic that makes you unique.
Please forward your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance to those that apply. We appreciate your interest. Only the most suitable will be contacted for an interview.