Nch’ḵaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Squamish Nation – Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw. Nch’ḵaỷ’s mandate is to develop, manage, and own the active businesses of the Nation and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Squamish Nation.
Our mission is to generate wealth and prosperity from economic opportunities for current and future generations of the Squamish Nation.
JOINING OUR TEAM
The Desktop Support Specialist is a Permanent Full-Time position based at Nch’ḵaỷ’s Head Office. Our Head Office is in West Vancouver, BC on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Sḵw̱xwú7mesh (Squamish) Nation and its people. You will be working towards generating wealth and prosperity for the people of the Squamish Nation. You will be working with a supportive team. You will have the opportunity for continuous learning, development, and growth within your job and career.
We offer our Team Members generous benefits to help them achieve their goals and support our company culture. We are looking for Team Members who align with our values, Squamish Nation values – Úxwumixw (Community), Sté lmexw (Collective), Nexwníw (Pride), Wená xws (Empowerment, Respecting Others), Siyám̓ in (Leadership, Everyone has a role to play), Snew̓ íyelh (Culture, Tradition, Resilience, Foundation, Teachings, Knowledge).
In return, we offer:
- Opportunities for career growth and development,
- Friendly and supportive work environment and an ambitious team,
- Flexible work schedule (hybrid),
- Extended dental and health care benefits,
- Employee and Family Assistance Program,
- Pension Plan and Supplementary Savings Plan,
- Life Insurance,
- Paid leave (i.e., sick leave, vacation, family days) and 14 statutory holidays including National Indigenous People’s Day and National Day of Truth and Reconciliation.
Scope of the Position
The Desktop Support Specialist plays a crucial role in ensuring the efficiency and functionality of our desktop systems, providing technical assistance, and maintaining our employees’ computing environment. Serving as the primary point of contact for desktop-related issues, the Desktop Support Specialist contributes to the seamless operation of our IT infrastructure. Moreover, this role offers an exciting opportunity to collaborate with cross-functional teams, participate in ongoing technology projects, and actively contribute to the continuous improvement of Nch’ḵaỷ’s technological landscape.
A. Duties, Responsibilities, Authority, and Accountabilities
- Provide frontline technical support via phone, email, or in-person for hardware, software, and network-related issues. Log, track, and resolve support requests within defined SLAs, ensuring minimal disruption to users.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting for desktop hardware, software, and peripherals. Resolve technical issues promptly to ensure minimal downtime and optimize user productivity.
Desktop Imaging and Deployment
- Manage desktop imaging processes, including creating and deploying standardized desktop images. Ensure consistent configurations and security measures across all deployed systems.
- Offer guidance and assistance to employees on the use of desktop applications, operating systems, and peripheral devices. Address user inquiries and provide solutions or training as needed.
Software Installation and Configuration
- Install, configure, and maintain desktop software and operating systems. Ensure compliance with company policies and licensing agreements.
- Perform routine maintenance on desktop hardware, including upgrades and repairs. Coordinate with vendors for warranty claims and replacements when necessary.
Documentation and Reporting
- Maintain accurate records of support requests, resolutions, and hardware/software inventory. Generate reports on recurring issues or trends to facilitate proactive solutions.
IT Policies and Compliance
- Enforce IT policies and security measures, ensuring compliance with company standards and protocols. Assist in implementing security updates and patches.
Collaboration and Training
- Collaborate with the IT team to share knowledge and best practices. Conduct training sessions for users on new technologies or software updates.
- Actively seek opportunities to improve existing processes, suggesting, and implementing enhancements that contribute to increased efficiency.
- Act as a point of contact with external vendors for hardware and software procurement, ensuring timely delivery and resolution of vendor-related issues.
- Maintain accurate records of hardware and software inventory, track assets, and ensure proper allocation and utilization across the organization.
Training Material Development
- Create user-friendly documentation and training materials to facilitate user self-help and improve overall technical literacy among employees.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Adheres to and promotes Nch’ḵaỷ’s six Guiding Principles and six Squamish Nation values.
C. Reporting Responsibilities and Authorities from Supervisor
- Reports to the Director, Information Technology.
D. Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Proficient in diagnosing and resolving hardware issues with desktop systems.
- Comprehensive understanding of operating systems, including Windows and macOS.
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving common software application problems.
- Familiarity with network-related issues and effective solutions.
Microsoft 365 Administration Experience
- Demonstrated expertise in the administration and management of Microsoft 365 suite.
- Competence in managing Microsoft Exchange Online, SharePoint, Teams, and associated services.
- Ability to optimize and streamline workflows within the Microsoft 365 environment.
- Excellent customer service skills with a focus on delivering prompt and effective technical support.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to convey technical information clearly to end-users.
- Patient and empathetic approach when assisting users with varying levels of technical proficiency.
- Proven ability to diagnose and resolve technical issues efficiently.
- Attention to detail in identifying root causes of problems and implementing effective solutions.
- Adaptable problem-solving skills to address a diverse range of desktop-related challenges.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team-based environment.
- Willingness to share knowledge, best practices, and support team objectives.
- Effective communication and cooperation with colleagues to achieve common goals.
- Understanding of networking principles, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, and VPN configurations.
- Proficient in troubleshooting connectivity issues and providing support for network-related queries.
IT Security Awareness
- Familiarity with basic IT security practices, including awareness of phishing attempts and malware detection.
- Ability to educate users on security best practices to enhance overall cybersecurity.
Remote Support Experience
- Proficient in providing remote technical support using various remote assistance tools.
- Experience in assisting geographically dispersed users with technical issues.
- Relevant certifications such as CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, or Microsoft Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate could be advantageous
In addition to the technical competencies mentioned above, the successful candidate should also possess the following qualities:
- Strong people skills and the ability to build productive and respectful working relationships with colleagues and senior management.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Previous experience working with First Nations is an asset; a strong desire to learn about and uphold Sḵwx̱wú7mesh values and teachings in a respectful manner is essential for this role.
- Occasional requirement to work in the evenings and on weekends.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Valid BC Class 5 license is preferred.
Doing business the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh way, on unceded Sḵwx̱wú7mesh territory