Nch’ḵaỷ Development Corporation (NDC) was established in 2018 as the economic development arm of the Squamish Nation – Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw. Nch’ḵaỷ mandate is to develop, manage and own the active businesses of the Nation and was created to allow for the separation of business and politics within the Squamish Nation. Our mission is to generate wealth and create prosperity from economic opportunities for current and future generations of the Squamish Nation. This role is offered to members first and the broader community if an appropriate application is unavailable. This position will mainly work out of Nch’ḵaỷ Head Office. Our Head Office are in North Vancouver, BC on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh(Squamish) Nation and its people.
This is a Permanent Full-time position.
Scope of the Position
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications and Engagement, the Communications Coordinator will support the execution of Nch’ḵay̓’s communications efforts including implementation, monitoring and measurement. The individual should have excellent writing and editing skills as well as experience in social media and graphic design. The ideal candidate will be a team player who is energetic, organized, creative, and self-motivated to join our growing communications department.
The Communications Coordinator will assist in the creation of promotional materials, contribute to the development of company websites, organize meetings and presentations, and interact with stakeholders to effectively deliver Nch’ḵaý’s message to the public, Squamish Nation Members, Squamish Nation Council, Nch’ḵaý’s Board, and our employees.
A. Duties, Responsibilities, Authority, and Accountabilities
- Writing and producing internal and external materials including community newsletter updates, employee profiles, brochures, fact sheets, posters, presentations, social media content, and website content.
- Support Directors, senior leadership, and consultants in strategic communication planning, development, and implementation of communication initiatives.
- Monitor analytics and create reports detailing the successes and failures of communications campaigns and strategies.
- Stay up to date on industry trends and make recommendations for adjustments to communications strategies and practices.
- Monitor media coverage, respond to media inquiries, and maintain relationships with Squamish Nation and third parties.
- Meets regularly with key contacts to plan campaigns, initiatives, and events.
- Collaborating with the Directors, senior leadership, and consultants in strategic communication planning, development, and implementation of communication initiatives.
- Ensuring that internal and external stakeholders meet corporate identity standards and branding for all publications, media channels, and promotional products, providing internal training and support on corporate branding.
- Proactively addresses and resolves any problems that may arise with promotional content or distribution of materials.
- Coordinates and attends community engagement events and info sessions, including logistics and set-up.
- Coordinate internal and external meetings, and presentations.
- Plans, shoots, and edits photo and video content for social media.
- Develop, document, and maintain systems and processes that result in coordinated, effective internal and external communications.
- Perform other duties as required.
C. Reporting Responsibilities and Authorities from Supervisor
- Director, Communications, and Engagement
D. Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or Marketing preferred; Completion of a two-year diploma or associate degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or related discipline may be considered.
- 2-3 years of directly related work experience.
- Outstanding writing, editing, multi-tasking, and organizational skills.
- Proven track record of coordinating events with a multitude of stakeholders.
- Experience utilizing social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) at an organizational level to promote events, initiatives, and campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience working with Canva and/or design programs such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign to create basic publications and graphics in accordance with brand guidelines.
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Ability to organize and track overlapping tasks and assignments, with frequent priority changes to meet deadlines.
- Strong people skills and the ability to build productive and respectful working relationships with colleagues and senior management.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-based environment.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Previous experience shooting and editing video content for social media will be considered an asset.
- Experience working with First Nations is an asset; a strong desire to learn about and uphold Sḵwx̱wú7mesh values and teachings in a respectful manner is essential for this role.
E. Special Requirements
- Occasional requirement to work in the evenings and on weekends. Occasional travel may be required.
- Valid BC Class 5 license is preferred.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our incredible team. We are open to receiving applications from qualified candidates even if they don’t completely match the required qualifications; we look for people interested and willing to commit to Nch’ḵaỷ to learn and develop into this role.
We’re committed to an equitable team member experience, opportunity, pay and support for every employee regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, family or marital status, religion, socio-economic status, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, or any other characteristic that makes you unique.
Thank you in advance to those that apply. We appreciate your interest. Only the most suitable will be contacted for an interview.